3.8 Graduation and Degree Conferral


The School of Social Welfare’s Commencement Ceremony is held at the conclusion of the spring semester each year. Details about the ceremony are posted on our departmental Commencement website in early January.

All Social Welfare students who will have their MSW degree conferred in the current academic year (including fall, spring and summer terms) are eligible to participate in our Spring Commencement Ceremony.

Degree Conferral

Degrees may be officially awarded for MSW students in May, August or December. The official degree conferral date is last the day of the fall, spring or summer semester each academic year. Degree conferral and posting, as well as processing of diplomas and transcripts, is handled by the Office of the Registrar.

UC Berkeley degrees typically post to transcripts approximately 10 weeks after the conferral date of the degree. However, given the strong need by MSWs to have their degrees posted early for employment and licensure, the School of Social Welfare has negotiated with Graduate Division and the Office of the Registrar to have degrees posted approximately 4 weeks after the last day in the spring semester. This is the earliest that degrees can be posted to transcripts. Recent graduates will need to wait until degrees are officially posted to transcripts before they can apply for ASW status; for more information please refer to the Board of Behavioral Sciences. The School will notify graduates via e-mail when degrees have been officially posted to transcripts.


Diplomas are automatically mailed free of charge from the Office of the Registrar four months after graduation to the address you have on file in CalCentral. Once you no longer have access to campus student systems you may submit a Diploma Mailing Request Form. For more information please see Office of the Registrar: Transcripts and Diplomas.

Verification of Enrollment or Degrees

You may request Student Self-Service Enrollment Verification or Official Verification of Attendance and Degrees directly from the Office of the Registrar; for information and instructions please visit Verification of Enrollment/Degrees.