Professional Development Awards

Professional Development Support for Graduate Students

Graduate Assembly Travel Award

The Graduate Assembly (GA) offers up to $300 in travel reimbursement for registered graduate students presenting at a conference outside of the San Francisco Bay Area.

Graduate Division Conference Travel Grant

PhD students may apply for Graduate Division funding to attend professional conferences if they are presenting a poster or paper. Grant amounts depend on location of conference (up to $600 within California; $900 elsewhere in North America, including Canada or Mexico; $1,500 outside of North America). Doctoral students are eligible for two grants per academic career. Students must be in good academic standing, and must be registered for the term in which they are planning to attend the conference, which also includes payment of fees/tuitions. Students on filing fee are not eligible. Applications are due at least three weeks before date of travel.

Social Welfare Dean’s Conference Travel Award

Social Welfare doctoral students presenting original research, or participating as an invited discussant or panelist, at a major meeting of a recognized learned society or professional organization, may apply for a Social Welfare Dean’s Conference Travel Award in the amount of $1,600 to assist with travel and attendance costs. In the final, job seeking year of the doctoral program students may apply for up to two awards, with the limitation that at least one of them must be to support presenting at either the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Annual Program Meeting or the Society for Social Work Research (SSWR) Annual Conference. Applications are due at least three weeks before date of travel.

Social Welfare Masters’ Professional Development Support Award

Up to $500 for registered MSW students only (including those in joint degree programs) to participate in a professional conference, training, continuing education program, or other appropriate professional development activity (EXCLUDING online courses/programs and University Extension courses taken for academic credit). Master's students may request one Professional Development Support Award per each academic year. Applications are accepted throughout the year and awards are made as funding permits. Applications are due at least three weeks before the start of the professional development activity.