Frequently Asked Questions - FlexMSW


What are the requirements to be admitted to the FlexMSW Advanced Standing Program?

Applicants to the FlexMSW-Advanced Standing option must hold a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from a program accredited  by the Council on Social Work Educaiton (CSWE). The BSW degree must have been earned within the last five years.

If I was admitted to the regular, full-time MSW program, can I switch to the FlexMSW Extended Program?

No. Since the FlexMSW is designed for professionals already working the field, students must apply and be admitted to the FlexMSW part-time track. Students may not switch programs once admitted.

What financial aid is available for the FlexMSW Advanced Standing or Extended program options?

FlexMSW students in either track are eligible for federal student aid, administered by the UC Berkeley Financial Aid and Scholarships Office (FASO). Graduate students interested using Federal Loans and/or Federal work-study to help fund their education must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For more information on applying for federal student loans for graduate study, please see FASO’s Apply for Aid.

Can I begin the 3-semester advance standing program in the spring semester, or do I have to enter in the fall semester?

*Admission to the FlexMSW Advanced Standing Program is currently suspended for the 2023 admissions cycle*

You must begin in the fall semester. Berkeley Social Welfare only admits for the fall semester each year; no spring or summer admissions are offered in any master’s degree program.

Will the Child Welfare Scholars stipend program be available to FlexMSW-Advanced Standing or FlexMSW-Extended students?

No. We are not able to offer the Child Welfare Scholars (“Title IV-E”) stipend-based training program to FlexMSW students in either track of the FlexMSW degree program.

Are concurrent degree programs (MSW/MPH, MSW/MPP) available to FlexMSW students?

No. At this time neither FlexMSW options are approved to be offered for the Concurrent MSW/MPH or Concurrent MSW/MPP degree programs.