School Social Work Credentials

Overall employment of social workers is projected to grow 13% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. Employment of child, family, and school social workers is expected to grow by 12% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. In schools, more social workers will be needed as student enrollments rise. (Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook-Social Workers, September 2020)

School Social Work...

Post-Masters PPSC Program

Berkeley Social Welfare offers a fully accredited School Social Work Program designed to educate master’s-level social workers to assist public schools in achieving their educational and developmental missions. Students pursuing the Master of Social Welfare (MSW) degree who complete the required academic and field curriculum in school social work are eligible for a recommendation from Berkeley Social Welfare for the Pupil Personnel Services Credentials (“PPSC”) issued by the...

How long do I have to complete the required field experience hours for the Post-MSW PPSC Program?

You have three years from the time of acceptance into the Post-MSW PPSC Program to satisfy all requirements for a credential recommendation. This includes required field hours.

Can I use the same fingerprints for both the CTC and my internship, or other jobs, or vice versa?

NO. Agencies/organizations requiring fingerprinting and background checks require you to follow their specific procedure, and the results are confidential. Agencies requiring background checks may not share the results reported to them with each other or anyone else. Also, individuals who have received fingerprint clearance from a school district, other California state agencies, or in other states are NOT exempt from the CTC LiveScan background check or Certificate of Clearance requirements.

Can I participate in the Post-MSW PPSC program if I am currently enrolled in an MSW Program at another school?

Yes, if it is a CSWE-accredited MSW program in the state of California only. You will not be eligible for a credential recommendation until your MSW degree is conferred. You will be required to provide an official transcript indicating your MSW degree conferral in order to receive a credential recommendation from Berkeley. You will also be required to submit documentation verifying your field experience hours meet all requirements for the PPSC.

If I decide not to obtain a PPSC while I am in the Berkeley MSW program can I get it later?

Yes, you may apply to the Post-MSW PPSC Program Option. If necessary you would complete the required course work through Berkeley Summer Sessions.

I am graduating but haven’t met the CTC's Basic Skills Requirement. Can I still get my PPSC?

Yes, if you have completed all other requirements. Your recommendation will be submitted to CTC upon receipt of a valid score report confirming that you have satisfied the Basic Skills Requirement.