Frequently Asked Questions - PPSC


Frequently asked questions about Berkeley Social Welfare's school social work program, and the Pupil Personnel Serivces Credentials (PPSC) in school social work and child welfare and attendance.

Who is eligible to apply to the PPSC Program?

Current Berkeley Social Welfare MSW students may apply to participate in the PPSC Program. Students in the Strengthening Organizations and Communities (SOC) specialization area must have field placements that fulfill the PPSC requirements pre-approved by Field Consultants that oversee both the SOC specialization and the PPSC program.

Can I use the same fingerprints for both the CTC and my internship, or other jobs, or vice versa?

NO. Agencies/organizations requiring fingerprinting and background checks require you to follow their specific procedure, and the results are confidential. Agencies requiring background checks may not share the results reported to them with each other or anyone else. Also, individuals who have received fingerprint clearance from a school district, other California state agencies, or in other states are NOT exempt from the CTC LiveScan background check or Certificate of Clearance requirements.

I am graduating but haven’t met the CTC's Basic Skills Requirement. Can I still get my PPSC?

Yes, if you have completed all other requirements. Your recommendation will be submitted to CTC upon receipt of a valid score report confirming that you have satisfied the Basic Skills Requirement.

If I decide not to obtain a PPSC while I am in the Berkeley MSW program can I get it later?

Yes, you may apply to the Post-MSW PPSC Program Option. If necessary you would complete the required course work through Berkeley Summer Sessions.

Who is eligible to apply for the Post-Master's PPSC Program?

Applicants to the Post-MSW PPSC Program must have received a Master of Social Work/Social Welfare (MSW) degree from a graduate program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), and the degree program must have included documented coursework in social work practice with diverse populations. As we are accredited only for the PPSC in school social work, students with master’s degrees other than the MSW degree are not eligible.

My master’s degree is in Counseling. Can I get my PPSC from your Post-MSW PPSC program?

No. Berkeley’s program is accredited only for the PPSC in School Social Work, so only those with the MSW degree are eligible

I took similar courses as part of my MSW degree program. Can I transfer those credits to your PPSC Program?

No. Because the two required courses are part of our School Social Work Program as accredited by the state, no transfer credit is accepted, nor waivers granted, for either course.

Can I participate in the Post-MSW PPSC program if I am currently enrolled in an MSW Program at another school?

Yes, if it is a CSWE-accredited MSW program in the state of California only. You will not be eligible for a credential recommendation until your MSW degree is conferred. You will be required to provide an official transcript indicating your MSW degree conferral in order to receive a credential recommendation from Berkeley. You will also be required to submit documentation verifying your field experience hours meet all requirements for the PPSC.

How long do I have to complete the required field experience hours for the Post-MSW PPSC Program?

You have three years from the time of acceptance into the Post-MSW PPSC Program to satisfy all requirements for a credential recommendation. This includes required field hours.