The Berkeley Social Welfare Masters in Social Welfare (MSW) is a two-year, full-time program organized around five areas of concentration. Each concentration area is designed to impart the specialized knowledge and skills required for advanced practice in a specific human service system. The MSW program is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
MSW Program Mission Statement
Berkeley Social Welfare's MSW Program Mission is to develop future leaders of the profession who are deeply prepared for multi-level social work in specific areas of practice. We achieve this through an education built on the strongest available evidence, oriented to advancing social justice, and responsive to the changing needs of local and global communities.
MSW Program Goals
The overarching goals of the MSW program are to:
- Enable students to integrate social work values, knowledge and skills for ethical and effective practice and leadership in human service systems.
- Provide students with the capabilities to advance social justice, equal opportunity, and social and economic welfare.
- Foster in students a respect for the uniqueness, worth and dignity of all individuals.
- Equip students with skills for critical thinking, evidence-based practice, and the development of social work knowledge.
- Provide students an understanding of culture and diversity.
Professional education at Berkeley is characterized by a spirit of critical inquiry and an emphasis on the use of tested knowledge and theory in developing and applying intervention methods.
Classroom preparation in the School of Social Welfare focuses on knowledge of individual and family development, ethno-cultural factors, policies and institutional systems governing services, and research strategies for program development and evaluation.
Knowledge and skills are tested and refined in the field education component of the MSW program, which emphasizes preparation for practice with and on behalf of the neediest and most disadvantaged groups in our society.
2015-16 MSW Handbook (Coming Soon)