The Solis Family Fellowship supports Social Welfare graduate students who are preparing for careers to serve Raza (Latinx) people and communities. The primary criteria for selection are 1) clear evidence of strong career goals to serve Raza; and 2) sufficient Spanish language fluency and knowledge of culture to perform graduate field work serving Raza.
The Solis Family Fellowship was established in 1993 in honor of the productive and inspirational life of Joseph H. Solis, Fieldwork Consultant Emeritus at the School of Social Welfare for more than 20 years, who passed away April 15, 2010.
Joseph Solis received his MSW degree from Berkeley Social Welfare in 1953. At Berkeley, Solis taught and developed field internships at the School of Social Welfare. He recruited and guided over 200 Latino students to graduate with MSW degrees. He co-developed and was project director of the Latino Child Mental Health Program. He conceptualized and developed the Intercambio Program between UC Berkeley and the Universidad de Guadalajara, allowing students to travel to Mexico and learn firsthand the factors that impact migrant families. Joe was also instrumental in creating La Familia Counseling Service and La Clinica de la Raza.
2022-23 Solis Family Fellowship Award
For the 2022-23 academic year, the Solis Fellowship will provide a $3,500 cash stipend ($1750 each semester for Fall 2022 and Spring 2023).
Awards will be announced by June 1, 2022.
To be eligible to apply for this fellowship, students must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be a current MSW student in good academic standing.
- Must have an Expected Graduation Term of Spring 2023. Students graduating in Fall 2022, or Summer 2023 or later, are not eligible.
- Must demonstrate evidence of sufficient Spanish language capacity to perform graduate field work serving Raza; and strong career goals in service to Raza people and communities. You will be asked to upload a current résumé/CV to the online fellowship application form.
How to Apply
Complete the online 2022-23 Social Welfare Departmental Graduate Fellowship Application(link is external) (Google Form) by 5:00 p.m. on the application deadline. No late applications will be accepted or considered.
April 15, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Time)
- You must be signed into your @berkeley.edu email address to access the online application form.
- This fellowship application requires an applicant Statement of Interest:
Please upload to your online application form a brief statement (500 words or less; Document or PDF file formats only) describing your interest in, experience with, and commitment to serving Latinx communities as a social worker. Provide any additional information you feel may aid the selection committee in considering your application.
- This fellowship application requires a current résumé/CV:
Please upload a Document or PDF file of your current résumé or Curriculum Vitae to the online application form.