Advanced Field Instruction & Clinical Supervision Training
October 11 and October 18, 2018 (must be able to attend both dates)
This 15-hour, two-day continuing education course is optional but recommended for new and returning field instructors and training coordinators. In this training, we will examine competency based approaches to providing field instruction and supervision for MSW interns. Since the purpose of supervision is to develop competence in the supervisee, we will explicitly identify and analyze the most essential professional competencies and best practices for helping supervisees attain them. CEUs will be available (6 hours per day and 3 hours of independent study). This course is highly rated by participants (average score of 6.9 out of 7.0 for overall course quality in January 2016) and highly recommended.
This training is open to both new and continuing field instructors. Participants must be able to attend both days in full. CEUs will be available (6 hours per day and 3 hours of independent study). Enrollment will be limited to 50 persons with priority to current field instructors of UCB MSW students and to those who register first. See below for fees. Parking passes will be provided at no charge to those who request them at the time of registration.
- Current or recent (within the last three years) Field Instructor or Training Coordinator with Berkeley Social Welfare: $52
- General Participant: $289
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Policies, Procedures, and Calendars
- 2018-2019 Field Education Calendar
- Field Instruction Guide 2017-2018 (for Field Instructors and Training Coordinators)
- Student Guide to Field Education
- MSW Student Handbook
- Field Evaluation Forms
- Training Module for Field Instructors: First Semester Progress Review
Narrated Presentation [youtube video] | Slide Set [pdf]
- An Overview of Competency Based Final Evaluation (youtube video)
Training Materials and Resources
- Orientation to the Role of Field Instructor: Best Practices (audio)
- Best Practices for Field Instruction: Competency-Based Approaches to Achieving Professional Excellence (powerpoint slides)
- Best Practice for Field Instruction (handouts)
- Field Educator: A free online journal promoting knowledge exchange among the social work field education community