Fees, Fellowships and Financial Aid
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and fees are assessed each semester by the Office of the Registrar:
- Social Welfare BASW students are assessed Undergraduate Fees.
- Social Welfare MSW students are assessed Graduate Professional Fees.
- Social Welfare PHD students are assessed Graduate Academic Fees.
- California Residency for Tuition Purposes (Registrar)
- Payment Options (Student Billing Services)
Required Health Insurance
Fees include required health insurance coverage.
As a condition of enrollment all registered students at the University of California are required to meet the university’s health insurance mandate. Registered UC Berkeley undergraduate and graduate students are automatically enrolled in the Berkeley Student Health Insurance Plan(SHIP) as a way to meet this mandate. You may be eligible to waive this requirement if you already have health insurance coverage. For more information regarding SHIP, including waiver eligibility requirements, please visit University Health Services' Student Health Insurance Information.
Undergraduate Financial Aid
- For information about and to apply for UC and Berkeley financial aid for undergraduate students, please visit the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.
- For additional scholarship opportunities, search the UC Berkeley Scholarship Connection.
- For undergraduate research fellowship opportunities, explore the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarships (OURS) Database.
- Social Welfare BASW majors are also eligible for certain Annual Achievement Awards and Prizes.
Graduate Fellowships and Financial Aid
Each year Berkeley Social Welfare directly awards or administers approximately two million dollars in support to graduate students through fellowships and stipend-based training programs. At Berkeley, 90% of all graduate students receive some form of financial support.
Educational financing needs are diverse, and vary according to individual circumstance. In addition to a personal contribution to pay for graduate school, most graduate students receive some form of financial assistance through a combination of a variety of resources. You should be planning any needed financial assistance arrangements as far in advance of enrollment as possible.
Click on the links below to explore the variety of options and resources for financial assistance:
- Achievement Awards and Prizes
These annual cash awards recognizing student achievement and distinction are presented each spring semester at the annual Haviland Scholars Day Awards and Recognition ceremony.
- Conference Travel Awards
Support for graduate students presenting at conferences.
- Departmental Graduate Fellowships
Departmental graduate fellowships are open to all Berkeley Social Welfare graduate students.
- Doctoral Student Support
Information about and resources for doctoral student funding.
- Extramural Awards
Many Berkeley Social Welfare students have been successful at securing extramural funding through additional university, public, and privately-sponsored fellowships. Extramural awards are made from a variety of outside funding sources, including government agencies; professional and alumni organizations; private foundations; and corporations.
- Graduate Division Fellowships and Awards
Graduate fellowship programs administered by UC Berkeley Graduate Division.
- Stipend Programs for MSW Students
Stipend-based training programs, offered as current funding permits, provide support for eligible MSW students in certain fields of study. Some stipend programs are offered in exchange for a contractually obligated, post-graduation employment commitment for a specified time period.
- Student Academic Employment
- Student Loan and Work-Study Programs
- Support for Student Parents