Getting Started

Getting Onboard in CalCentral

CalCentral is Berkeley’s online academic and student services portal. Upon accepting an offer of admission, new students are provided with instructions for establishing a CalNet ID and a CalCentral account.

Your CalNet ID is your online identity at UC Berkeley. It is used for system access log-ins and authentication, and it will be your campus email address when combined with After you claim your CalNet ID, you will be able to create your bConnected account.

You manage all crucial student information through the easy-to-use, mobile-friendly single point-of-entry, including: admissions, financial aid, registration, enrollment, course management, advising, billing and payment, and records. You can also check your campus email, calendar, ongoing academic progress, financial aid, bCourses, and more. It is your responsibility to monitor your CalCentral student account regularly, and respond in a timely manner to any alerts or messages requesting that you take action.

CalCentral Resources

CalCentral Information
Useful information on advising, billing, enrollment, financial aid, and records within CalCentral

Enrollment FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions about the enrollment process in CalCentral

Graduate Academic Progress Report
How graduate students view an Academic Progress Report (APR)

Viewing Grades in CalCentral

Getting bConnected

bConnected is Berkeley’s suite of collaboration tools, including Google Apps for Education: bMail for email and Google Groups email lists; bCal for calendaring; and bDrive for online file storage. To establish your bConnected account and email address, visit the bConnected website and follow the instructions to “claim your bConnected Google account.”

All students are required to establish and maintain a bConnected account, which includes your email address. You are responsible for keeping your Berkeley email address current, and for regularly monitoring your email for official communications from the University. You are also responsible for all communications sent to and from your address, and for data stored in your bConnected account.

Getting Your Cal 1 Card

Your Cal 1 Card is your official UC Berkeley photo identification card. All current students are require to obtain a Cal 1 Card. Your Cal 1 Card is also used to access campus services and benefits, including library services, University Health Services, rides on AC Transit buses, key-card entry to residence halls, campus facilities and at all Cal Dining locations. Your Cal 1 Card may also be used as a debit account (free, with no minimum balances or overdraft fee), and for printing in computer labs and libraries on campus.

New graduate students in Social Welfare must visit the Cal 1 Card office in person to receive a Cal 1 Card. The office is located in 212 Sproul Hall; office hours are Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Getting Registered

All new and continuing students must be officially registered in order to access campus services. Becoming fully registered is a TWO-STEP process: you must 1) enroll in classes; and then 2) pay registration fees. Both actions are completed in CalCentral.

Enrolling in Classes

Social Welfare MSW students follow the standard process of enrollment in CalCentral. Enrollment takes place in two phases – “Phase 1” and “Phase 2” – followed by an adjustment period. Phase 1 and 2 appointment times are determined by the Office of the Registrar and are posted to your CalCentral profile under “My Academics.” Students may add their preferred classes to a “Shopping Cart” before their official Phase 1 or 2 enrollment time.

Prior to the start of each CalCentral enrollment period (and in the summer, for incoming new students), the Graduate Student Affairs Office (GSAO; also known as the Graduate Advisor) provides all students with information about and instructions for enrolling in classes for the next term.

Schedule of Classes

The schedule of classes is accessible from your CalCentral dashboard, as well as the Berkeley Academic Guide. The  Berkeley Academic Guide also includes links to the Academic Calendar, and additional information on course descriptions, prerequisites, etc. for all courses.

Paying Tuition and Fees

Once you have enrolled in at least one class, tuition and fees will be assessed to your CalCentral student account by the Office of the Registrar. Berkeley Social Welfare MSW students are assessed Graduate Professional Fees. Social Welfare FlexMSW students pay a flat rate of $1,850 per unit.

To be considered officially “registered”, you must pay your registration fees by the published deadline each semester – either in full, or with the first installment under the Fee Payment Plan. If your fees are not paid on time, your enrollment in classes may be subject to cancellation, and fellowship or stipend payments may be placed on hold, and you may not be able to access campus services or obtain a bus pass.

The Graduate Division will not release fellowship stipend payments until a student is officially registered. If your registration is not complete and you are receiving a fellowship award, your fellowship stipend payment will not be sent to your CalCentral account.

How to Pay Fees

Students use CalCentral My Finances for all billing and payment activities. You may make payments online with eCheck at no charge; by credit card for a convenience fee; or with foreign funds through Western Union. For complete details about payment options and instructions, please visit Student Billing Services.

Billing statements are generated monthly by Billing and Payment Services, and posted online to your CalCentral account in the My Finances dashboard. Students do not receive paper bills; your only notification will be by email. Before making a payment, be sure to log on to CalCentral to view your updated balance and any additional new charges, adjustments, aid disbursements and payments.

Health Insurance Fee

Fees include required health insurance coverage. The University requires all students to carry health insurance as a condition of enrollment, and provides the Student health insurance Plan (SHIP) to meet this requirement. You have the option to waive the University's plan and not pay the insurance fee if you can show comparable proof of insurance. For more information, please see University Health Services: Waiving SHIP Information.

Direct Deposit

All students are strongly encouraged to sign up for Direct Deposit to expedite receipt of their disbursements or refunds via direct deposit to a personal bank account. Students using Direct Deposit receive their refunds faster and avoid standing in line. Refunds paid to students by a paper check can be picked up in person at the Cal Student Central office located at 120 Sproul Hall. Checks that are not picked up in a timely manner will be mailed to the local address on file in CalCentral. Make sure your local address is current to avoid delays in payment and problems with returned mail due to an outdated address.