Changing Specialization Areas

Because Berkeley Social Welfare admits students to an MSW degree program by specialization area, changing specializations is generally not allowed. First-year students wishing to petition for a change of specialization area should first discuss the potential change with their faculty adviser and field consultant.

To petition for a change in specialization, students must submit a written statement to the Graduate Student Affairs Officer (GSAO) requesting the change and explaining why the change would be appropriate. The deadline to submit a request to change specialization areas is the end of the third week of class in the Fall Semester.

Petitions are reviewed both by the Director of Field Education and the Admissions Office, and are evaluated on the rationale provided and the current availability of class and field opportunities. The ability to grant a change is not guaranteed.