2.2 Paying Tuition and Fees

Once you have enrolled in at least one class, tuition and fees will be assessed to your CalCentral student account by the Office of the Registrar.

  • Berkeley Social Welfare MSW students are assessed Graduate Professional Fees. 
  • Berkeley Social Welfare FlexMSW students pay a flat rate of $1,850 per unit.

To be considered officially “registered”, you must pay your registration fees by the published deadline each semester – either in full, or with the first installment under the Fee Payment Plan. If your fees are not paid on time, your enrollment in classes may be subject to cancellation, and fellowship or stipend payments may be placed on hold, and you may not be able to access campus services or obtain a bus pass.

The Graduate Division will not release fellowship stipend payments until a student is officially registered. If you are receiving a fellowship award, your fellowship stipend payment will not be sent to your CalCentral account until your registration is complete.

How to Pay Fees

Students use CalCentral My Finances for all billing and payment activities. You may make payments online with eCheck at no charge; by credit card for a convenience fee; or with foreign funds through Western Union. For complete details about payment options and instructions, please visit Student Billing Services.

Billing statements are generated monthly by Billing and Payment Services, and posted online to your CalCentral account in the My Finances dashboard. Students do not receive paper bills; your only notification will be by email. Before making a payment, be sure to log on to CalCentral to view your updated balance and any additional new charges, adjustments, aid disbursements and payments.

Health Insurance Fee

Fees include required health insurance coverage. The University requires all students to carry health insurance as a condition of enrollment, and provides the Student health insurance Plan (SHIP) to meet this requirement. You have the option to waive the University's plan and not pay the insurance fee if you can show comparable proof of insurance. For more information, please see University Health Services: Waiving SHIP.

Direct Deposit

All students are strongly encouraged to sign up for Direct Deposit to expedite receipt of any disbursements or refunds via direct deposit to a personal bank account. Students using Direct Deposit receive their refunds faster and avoid standing in line. Refunds paid to students by a paper check can be picked up in person at the Cal Student Central office located at 120 Sproul Hall. Checks that are not picked up in a timely manner will be mailed to the local address on file in CalCentral. Make sure your local address is current to avoid delays in payment and problems with returned mail due to an outdated address.