The Charles O'Shea Memorial Scholarship was established in 1973 by Mrs. Phyllis J. O'Shea, in memory of her husband Charles O’Shea, who was a Berkeley Social Welfare Lecturer and Field Supervisor in the 1950s.
The O'Shea Scholarship is awarded to an MSW student preparing for direct clinical practice of social work with children and adolescents.
2022-23 Charles O'Shea Scholarship Award
For the 2022-23 academic year, the Charles O'Shea Memorial Scholarship will provide a total of $3,500 in financial support, consisting of a $1,750 cash stipend each semester for Fall and Spring.
Preference for this award may be given to students who have not received as much funding from the department as other students in the department.
Awards will be announced by June 1, 2022.
To be eligible to apply for this fellowship, students must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be a current MSW student in good academic standing.
- Must have an Expected Graduation Term of Spring 2023. Students graduating in Fall 2022, or Summer 2023 or later, are not eligible.
- Must demonstrate evidence of current, previous or anticipated experience oriented to preparing for a career in direct clinical practice of social work with children and adolescents. You will be asked to upload a current résumé/CV to the online fellowship application form.
How to Apply
Complete the online 2022-23 Social Welfare Departmental Graduate Fellowship Application (Google Form) by 5:00 p.m. on the application deadline. No late applications will be accepted or considered.
Friday, May 13, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Time)
- You must be signed into your @berkeley.edu email address to access the online application form.
- This fellowship application requires an applicant Statement of Interest and Need:
Please upload to your online application form a brief statement (no more than three (3) typed, double-spaced pages; Document or PDF file formats only) describing:
- your personal and professional interests, experiences, and anticipated career goals that evidence your preparation for direct clinical practice of social work with children and adolescents.; and,
- any unique financial situations and/or hardships that may help us better understand your financial need. Any information provided will be used only for SSW fellowship consideration.
- This fellowship application requires a current résumé/CV:
Please upload a Document or PDF file of your current résumé or Curriculum Vitae to the online application form.