Newly established in July 2017, Berkeley Social Welfare's Latinx Center of Excellence (LCOE) aims to address the relative paucity of Latinx/Hispanic students in graduate-level social work education. Our goal is to promote success among Latinx social work students through enhanced training and educational opportunities in behavioral health. The Center is embarking on a set of coordinated program activities to:
- develop pipeline strategies to increase Latinx student recruitment in behavioral health-focused social work at Berkeley;
- create a scaffolded mentorship network;
- develop and provide financial incentive support for Latinx-focused field placements;
- offer expanded academic support for Latinx students;
- initiate community-based research on identified areas of need; and,
- develop and implement a recruitment, retention and promotion plan for Latinx faculty.
2017-18 Stipend Program
The LCOE is pleased to announce the 2017-18 stipend-based training program for Latina/o and Hispanic MSW students. For the current academic year we expect to award ten stipends in the amount of $8,000 to eligible first-year MSW students; and ten stipends in the amount of $10,000 to eligible second-year MSW students. The application cycle is currently open and applications are due November 16, 2017. Awards will be announced by December 16, 2017, with awards to be issued for the spring semester in January 2018.
- For eligibility criteria, stipend requirements and selection criteria, please see our 2017-18 LCOE Stipend Information Handout [pdf].
- TO APPLY: complete the online 2017-18 LCOE Stipend Application.
For inquiries about LCOE activities or the 2017-18 stipend program, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Luna Calderon, LCSW