Congratulations Class of 2017!
2017 Commencement Ceremony
Sunday, May 14, 2017
Graduates arrive by 6:30 p.m.
Zellerbach Auditorium on the Berkeley Campus
Send Us Your Images for the Graduation Slideshow!
The communications department will be preparing a slideshow for your upcoming graduation ceremony, and we invite you to share photos that capture your time at the School. We want to represent as many of your experiences as possible, so please send over whatever you may have, be it photography from around campus or Haviland, with other Social Welfare students or -- when appropriate -- photos reflecting your field education.
Ideally photos will be as high resolution as possible, but we will try to include anything you send our way. We need to receive all final photos by Friday, April 21st.
We have an online uploader for gathering your photos. We are unable to include photos submitted directly through email. Please follow the instructions below to submit your photos.
How to Submit your Photos:
1. Go to our upload page at: cwok.me/cu/
3. Carefully read the submission guidelines at the top of the page.
4. Attach your files by clicking “Add files”
5. After selecting your photos, you will be able to enter your email address, first name, last name (including your degree and concentration).
6. Add captions for photos under “Your message...”
7. Finally, Click “Start Upload and Attach Message"
Our Commencement Ceremony is a private, ticketed event and all attendees must have a ticket to be admitted to Zellerbach Auditorium, including babies and small children. This is a Cal Performances policy and there are no exceptions.
Graduates do not need a ticket for themselves.
Each graduate who RSVPs for Commencement will automatically receive two (2) free tickets each for guests. Additional tickets may be purchased for $5.00 each.
- You must access the online ticketing system to claim your two free tickets even if you don’t need to purchase any additional tickets.
- Please note that all ticket sales are final, and there are no refunds. Also, tickets will NOT be available for sale or for pickup on the day of graduation, so please order your tickets accordingly and be sure to pick them up promptly.
- Tickets are not printable online or mailed; you must pick them up in person.
All tickets will be available for pickup in person from the Front Desk in 120 Haviland after April 25. Be sure to print a copy of your confirmation from the online ticketing system and bring it with you when you pick up your tickets.
The ASUC MyGrad Event for graduates takes place in late MArch or early April. You can order regalia rentals and other graduation gear during ths special event just for graduates.
You can place orders for cap-and-gown, official Cal regalia, graduation announcements, and more at The Student Store, located at 2480 Bancroft Way, and online at ShopTheStudentStore.com.
Honor Cords for Undergraduates
The Department will provide Honor Cords to eligible undergraduate Social Welfare majors. Cords will be dsitributed at our annual Haviland Scholars Day on Friday, May 5, 2017.
Congratulations, almost-graduates! Information about the day of your graduation, and instructions for participating in the Commencement Ceremony will be posted here.
When & Where to Arrive
Please plan to arrive on Lower Sproul Plaza, in front of Zellerbach Auditorium, no later than 6:30 p.m. We will have a Welcome Booth set up on the Plaza from 6:00 p.m., until just before you will begin your processional. Oski will be there to greet you and take pictures with your family, friends, and loved ones!
Where to Line Up for the Processional
- PhD candidates, faculty and commencement speakers will congregate INSIDE the Zellerbach lobby, just to the right side of the lobby near the staircase (north side).
- MSW and BASW candidates will gather and line up for the processional OUTSIDE of Zellerbach Hall, on either side of the front doors: MSWs on the left side, and BASWs on the right side; and far enough away from the front doors so that guests are not impeded upon their arrival. You don’t need to worry about lining up in alphabetical or any other particular order.
ADA Accessibility for Guests
Please be sure to communicate any special accommodation needs you or your guests may have when you RSVP for Commencement. We will provide the Zellerbach house staff with a list of participants and guests requiring special assistance in advance.
We strongly encourage you to inform guests who use a wheelchair or have other special seating/accommodation needs to arrive 15 minutes prior to the doors opening to the general audience. Cal Performances ushers will greet guests requiring ADA assistance at about 6:15 p.m., and will assist your guests with seating in the auditorium.
PARKING & TRANSPORTATION
Reserved parking is not available for commencement and we encourage you take public transportation. If you choose to drive, please refer to the campus map for directions.
During commencements at Berkeley, Student "S" Permit areas will be open to the public at the hourly rate. Purchase parking from the "Pay by Space" dispensing machine. Parking and Transportation will also sell parking for Zellerbach Auditorium at the following locations:
- Dana/Durant Lot ($10)
- RSF Garage ($10)
- Lower Sproul Garage ($15)
The City of Berkeley Sather Gate Garage is also available.
COMING TO BERKELEY
For information about where to stay, dine and sightsee in the City of Berkeley, please see Visit Berkeley.
Students will not receive their diploma on the day of the ceremony. Diplomas will be mailed approximately 3.5 months after the ceremony. For more information please see Diplomas & Graduation.
Posting of MSW Degrees
MSW degrees are expected to be posted to students' transcripts no earlier than June 10. The degree conferral date is May 13, 2017. For information regarding requirements and the process for LCSW licensure in California, please visit the Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Stay Connected with Berkeley Social Welfare!
Join the Cal Alumni Association: networking opportunities, discounts, and more!
To join, visit Cal Alumni Association Recent Graduate Membership.